What is the Lib Dem position on ‘The Big Society’?

by Stephen Tall on September 20, 2011

I was called by a colleague I know through my day-job last week: ‘What is the Lib Dem position on charitable giving?’ she asked. Beyond a bland ‘We’re in favour of it,’ I found myself a bit stuck for an answer.

Initially I put it down to my ignorance, and decided I should do some research, call a few people up, and find out something a bit more helpful, a bit more substantive. But coincidentally that day I happened to read this article — How can charities exert an influence on Lib Dem policies? — in Third Sector.

And it turns out that it’s not just me who’s a bit stuck for an answer. The party is as well:

The party has no minister in the Office for Civil Society, which sets much voluntary sector policy, and its conference papers make no mention of the government’s big society agenda. It is difficult to know where the party stands on key issues, such as public service reform, commissioning and the government’s role in encouraging charitable giving and volunteering, because it has not appointed a spokesperson on the sector.

Clues can be found in Community Futures: Policies on the Voluntary Sector and Volunteering, a 38-page document published in March, now adopted as Liberal Democrat policy. Many of its proposals match the government’s agenda: it supports impact measurement, deregulation, social banking and reform of the vetting and barring system. It also pledges that “in future we will require all legislative proposals to include a voluntary sector impact statement”.

Baroness Liz Barker, who chaired the policy group that produced the report, says the group has not arranged any discussions of sector policy at the conference. Asked whether she thinks the report has influenced government policy, she says: “I don’t know, really.” She stresses that it is Liberal Democrat, not coalition government, policy.

And I was particularly struck by the following paragraph:

One party member, who works for a charity and asks not to be named, says: “At a national level I don’t think the Liberal Democrats have had a huge impact on the big society agenda. It feels like it has been driven by the Conservatives. It was always David Cameron’s idea.” Asked how optimistic he is that Barker’s proposals will be implemented, he says: “Not very.”

As I explained to my colleague on the phone, this policy lacuna is an odd one for the Lib Dems to have. The concept of ‘The Big Society’ taken at face value — bottom-up initiaves, leveraging volunteer networks, community self-empowerment, collective action not reliant on the state — is an eminently liberal one.

The fear has always been that in the Conservatives’ hands it is little more than an excuse for government to abdicate responsibility. All the more reason, therefore, for Lib Dems to ensure our voice is a strong one, helping shape ‘The Big Society’, and for liberals to reclaim it. To date, though, our suspicion of its Tory authorship and marketing seems to have precluded our drive to make it work for our liberal vision.

‘How to make it happen?’ That was the question on my mind as I put down the phone, slightly embarrassed that I was unable to give a more convincing answer to my colleague’s straightforward question on charitable giving. Your thoughts, please…

New post: What is the Lib Dem position on ‘The Big Society’? http://t.co/pO7nJES2

by Stephen Tall on September 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm. Reply #

by BPPA on September 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm. Reply #

'What is the Lib Dem position on ‘The Big Society’?' http://t.co/pO7nJES2 with thx to @thirdsector for their analysis #ldconf

by Stephen Tall on September 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm. Reply #

Thanks to @stephentall for views on LD's (lack of) position on voluntary giving – read more here at his blog http://t.co/w3u0ZEO3

by Kate Hunter on September 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm. Reply #

by Stephen Tall on September 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm. Reply #

Now here’s a thing: The Voluntary Sector is.. voluntary. It’s not government’s place to interfere. That’s the basic fail of Cameron’s “Bugged Society” – he’s trying to replace the brownite “pay everyone shitloads to do stuff to make us look good” with “everyone should do stuff to feel good”

Volunteering, to me, is about believing in a cause. It’s great if you do and fantastic if you take that to a new level. But that does not mean entitlement to taxpayers money nor does it mean the government needs to create a quango to support that endeavour. Ultimately the best response is to enable volunteering through the legislature – remove obstacles, but don’t put public money into it – Government has bigger fish to fry, especially now and there are plenty of philanthropists who can assist.

Thre’s also the double edged sword; They support X but won’t support Y – equality is often in the eye of the beholder.

There is no sin in being “voluntary neutral” so long as Government isn’t hindering those who want to give.

by Riff Devin on September 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm. Reply #

by ThirdSector on September 21, 2011 at 9:02 am. Reply #

@ThirdSector: RT @stephentall: 'What is the Lib Dem position on 'The Big Society'?' http://t.co/cTrowqrq with thx to @thirdsector for th …

by Catalyst Stockton on September 21, 2011 at 9:24 am. Reply #

by Thirds on September 21, 2011 at 9:38 am. Reply #

"@stephentall: 'What is the Lib Dem position on ‘The Big Society’?' http://t.co/ol2tI9Sw with thx to @thirdsector for their analysis #ldconf

by Croydon on September 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm. Reply #

[…] months ago I posed the question here, ‘What is the Lib Dem position on ‘The Big Society’?’ — and was forced to […]

by Time for Nick Clegg and the Coalition to see sense and stop the ‘Charity Tax’ on April 4, 2012 at 8:16 am. Reply #