LDV Weekend Meme: your favourite blog-posts

by Stephen Tall on August 8, 2009

The Lib Dem blog awards are with us again – and one of the categories is ‘Best posting on a Liberal Democrat blog (since 1st September 2008)’. This is actually my favourite award for the simple reason that it recognises writing talent, pure and simple. By which I don’t mean that the prose has to be worthy of a Booker nomination; rather that the article has to attract, engage and provoke readers – elevate our thinking, if you like.

All of which musing prompted me to ask my LDV colleagues – and myself – to self-nominate the favourite articles we’ve posted here on the site. Here’s what we said:

Helen Duffett:
Do you belong to a suspicious group? It’s hard not to…

Alex Foster:
Twitter, #ldconf and Heidegger
Enough is enough
Actually, energy efficiency begins in Nottingham

Mark Pack:
According to the Daily Mail, I’m a foreigner
Quite simply, the best headline in a Labour leaflet – ever

Stephen Tall:
Never mind about Parliament, Hazel: what about actually giving real power to real people?
What has the Telegraph done for the reputation of journalism?
What must happen for the Lib Dems to overtake Labour?

Of course none of these posts are eligible for nomination in the Lib Dem Blog of the Year awards (Lib Dem Voice is excluded). But if you’re a Lib Dem blogger then one – or more – of your posts very well could be. So why not join in this LDV meme, and post on your blog links to those articles you’ve written which actually you’re quietly rather proud of, and which would be eligible for the ‘Best Post’ gong?

If you do, please leave the relevant link to your blog in the comments thread so we can all have a read. And perhaps even nominate your blog-post(s).

I’ll nominate my post “Kids told cupcakes and consoles as bad as smoking“.

by Costigan Quist on August 8, 2009 at 7:21 pm. Reply #

I’ve suggested a few over at Liberal England.

by Jonathan Calder on August 9, 2009 at 10:22 am. Reply #

A blog from a former Liberal County Councillor, now In Jersey. There is no LibDem party or equivalent there.
A good example is Feudalism

by I digress on August 9, 2009 at 2:51 pm. Reply #

I got an e-mail that I had been linked here. Which is flattering. I am not sure I count as a Liberal Democrat blogger ,you will have to decide, I have not been a party member since being in Jersey. There is no organisation here. I was active in the Liberal Ecology Group, My politics are probbaly still best descibed as radical Liberal Ecologist

by Mark Forskitt on August 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm. Reply #

This is surprisingly difficult. I look back at my archives with a mixture of horror and bafflement, wondering what on earth I was thinking.

I’ve picked out a handful of posts (based mostly on what other people seemed to like!) and stuck them in special page on the blog, which is a sort of best of. 🙂

by Charlotte Gore on August 9, 2009 at 4:50 pm. Reply #

I have listed my favourite posts at http://peterblack.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-favourite-blogposts-and-nominations.html

by Peter Black on August 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm. Reply #

“… Liberal Democrat Voice have set us all a meme to list our favourite posts …”

I’ve never really understood the Internet usage of the word “meme”. Is it essentially synonymous with “list”?

by Herbert Brown on August 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm. Reply #

I submit the following for nomination (or ridicule!):-

stevemiddleton.info/2009/07/21/a-boris-for-greater-manchester/
stevemiddleton.info/2009/06/23/has-council-dug-itself-into-a-hole-over-road-repairs/
stevemiddleton.info/2009/06/20/big-brother-database-will-ruin-peoples-lives/
stevemiddleton.info/2009/06/17/landline-tax-digital-tv-surplus-broadband-for-all-but-a-cold-home/
stevemiddleton.info/2009/05/07/add-1-to-the-restricted-statistics-assuming-youre-security-cleared/
stevemiddleton.info/2009/04/29/is-this-the-largest-pot-hole-in-the-uk/

Sorry everyone, you’ll need to add http:// in front of those URL’s because apparently my comment is “a bit spammy”
Urk!

by Steve Middleton on August 12, 2009 at 11:58 am. Reply #

I have done mine here now:

by Mark Reckons on August 16, 2009 at 7:35 pm. Reply #