Nick takes 'The Toynbee Test'

by Stephen Tall on June 11, 2009

Over at the Guardian website, there’s a 16-minute video conversation between Nick Clegg and political commentator Polly Toynbee. You can watch it in full here.

This is brilliant for the party. The responses were very impressive from the commenters…

We need to spread this…

by rantersparadise on June 11, 2009 at 12:40 pm. Reply #

Indeed, superb performance by Clegg. This is the sort of thing we should link to whenever someone comes out with the boring trope of ‘wishy washy Lib Dems’.

by Adam Bell on June 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm. Reply #

I was very impressed with Nick’s responses to Polly Toynbee and his refusal to pander to her simplistic left/right view of politics. Nick has really gone in my estimation in recent months.

by RMC on June 11, 2009 at 12:59 pm. Reply #

Excellent stuff. More of this please!

by LibCync on June 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm. Reply #

Can we get this up on Youtube somehow?

by Steve on June 11, 2009 at 6:01 pm. Reply #

It’s quite heavily cut in Polly’s favour, yet he still stands his ground. Good stuff. Hopefully he and the Lib Dems can keep her endorsement for the next few months (and I never thought I’d be saying that about Polly Toynbee)

by Robson on June 11, 2009 at 9:32 pm. Reply #

Haha, my favourite Guardian comment:

“Where on EARTH has the Nick Clegg above been hiding?

This was literally the first time he’s ever made a single impression on me. I thought his sincerity shone through, it was palpably refreshing. He always comes across as so wet and wispy, there is never anything to grab onto.

I suggest the Lib Dems all chip in and re-stock whatever he had for breakfast this morning, they’re going to need more of that if they’re to make a dent.”

by Robson on June 11, 2009 at 9:42 pm. Reply #

I agree with all, I’m going to put this on when I start my campaign-Toynbee is such a prick BUT Nick did well…

by rantersparadise on June 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm. Reply #