Congratulations President-elect Obama

by Stephen Tall on November 5, 2008

Well, who imagined we could ever use that headline? No matter how many times it’s repeated – to the point the cliche becomes stale – this is a truly historic moment, both for President-elect Barack Obama, and for the American people. We at Lib Dem Voice salute you.

If you want to re-live the night through the LDV live-blog, click here. And if you want to see what folk were prepared to predict the result would be before the election, then click here.

Feel free to continue the morning-after-the-night-before discussions here…

I feared that Obama would lose, and so supported Hillary. I am pleased to have been proved wrong. Now, how about ‘socialized health care’ as they pejoratively call it…..

by Terry Gilbert on November 5, 2008 at 5:02 am. Reply #

For those who’ve stayed up all night, good night. It’s been a delight on this historic night.

by Bernard Salmon on November 5, 2008 at 5:24 am. Reply #

Indeed.

Now that you’ve all finished I can open the darned live-blog!

I’m off for a kip and then to spend my winnings 🙂

by Liberal Neil on November 5, 2008 at 5:39 am. Reply #

The main lesson to be inferred is that the electorate reject negative, cynical campaigning.

They know Obama isn’t a socialist or a terrorist.

They know some very mild redistribution is normal.

They know some vague movement towards a safety net isn’t the first step to the gulags.

They know, in fact, that Obama is a competent, Bill Clinton-style centrist who won’t shake the world but will deliver slow, incremental progress & heal the wounds that the religious right & neoconservatism has left.

I hope the GOP will recover sooner or later (give Obama 8 years & then maybe) & become a real conservative party, no longer obsessing about abortion & creationism & instead focusing on limited government & personal responsibility.

I actually did welcome Cameron’s new tone, as much as I fear it may be skin deep. Likewise, I’d like to see the Sarah Palin tendency finally killed off. McCain could have done this himself but he didn’t have the strength to take on his own party.

It could even be argued that Obama is a Tory, a Cameroon. He isn’t even vaguely left-wing, & I speak as someone who is seen as a crypto-Tory by elements like Clegg’s Candid Friend etc.

We should drop the wild enthusiasms & get down to a bit of work 🙂

by asquith on November 5, 2008 at 7:25 am. Reply #

As many will say in Thailand,CHAI YO!

by Manfarang on November 5, 2008 at 7:34 am. Reply #

Yeeee Haaa !!!!

Glad to be going to the NuSA soon.

by simonsez on November 5, 2008 at 7:40 am. Reply #

Enjoyed the gloom at Fox News.

Meanwhile they are dancing in the streets in Washington DC.

Tonight we Party, Tomorrow the hard work starts.

by simonsez on November 5, 2008 at 7:43 am. Reply #

Can I just say thank you to everyone who took part in the liveblog and made it so much more fun, erudite, witty and informative than everybody else’s liveblogs 😉 I feel we shared. A little too much at times, but we shared.

by Alix on November 5, 2008 at 10:21 am. Reply #

From Germany we want to send our congratulations to Mr. Barack Obama, new president of the United States of America.

Not only the hopes and dreams of the American people rest on Mr. Obama, but also the hopes and dreams of our country and the entire world. We are very happy about Mr. Obama being the new president of the USA. May God bless and protect him and the USA!

Martina Bedregal Calderón and son André from Kiel, Germany

by Martina Bedregal Calderón on November 5, 2008 at 11:13 am. Reply #

May I suggest we henceforth have fireworks on this day every year…..

by Terry Gilbert on November 5, 2008 at 11:54 am. Reply #

Slogan, “Yes We Can”

B.Ob the Builder defeats Joe the Plumber!

by David Allen on November 5, 2008 at 12:25 pm. Reply #

President-elect Obama
Dear Sir, For a truly transformational Government, my advice is to leave
Vice-President-elect Biden in the Senate & make him Prime Minister,
after all he is paid by the Senate & President there pro tem.
Also, as the G7 counterparts of Secs Peters & Paulson will tell you,
not debating their portfolios every week in the Congress leaves them @ a very distinct disadvantage when dealing with them, because they all do!
Therefore, please transform your Cabinet by making up its members from
the Congress & leaving them there to debate their portfolios & engage in question time. Of course, their bureaucratic operational deputies can be drawn from the vast pool of talent available to you across America.
All best wishes,
Yours faithfully, Prof M H Settelen, B.Sc.(Eng.), MBA(Wharton)
mhsettelen@netscape.net

by Prof M H Settelen on November 6, 2008 at 11:57 am. Reply #

President Elect Obama,
Best wishes to you, your family, and our country. You most definitely had my vote and have my hopes for the future.

Sir, look at Small Paws Rescue – a Bischon Freis/Bischon mix rescue. I am a volunteer there and these dogs are highly no allergic – and cute as buttons as well.
Bobbie Gentilquore

by Bobbie Gentilquore on November 7, 2008 at 8:21 pm. Reply #

“Rosa sat down, so Martin could stand, Barack could run and our children could fly”

by Roberts ! on November 7, 2008 at 8:49 pm. Reply #

Sir, i feel immense pleasure on b obama being elected as us president.congratulations.my pleasure is many times greater,because i am an indian and my doughter is going to be married in next month and will be residing in medison (wisconsin).she is enough lucky that she will be in her uncle’s (Obama)country.

by Dr Z.K.Lodi on November 13, 2008 at 3:55 pm. Reply #