Will Young comes out … for STV

by Stephen Tall on August 31, 2008

From today’s Sunday Telegraph:

‘I have voted, yes, but I’m not going to tell you who for,’ he smiles. ‘I’m not Conservative or Labour, I don’t have a political leaning, I’m a tactical voter. … I’d like a single transferable vote, because I think it would make more sense, particularly for the Lib Dems because they get such a big vote and a tiny percentage of the House of Commons.’

This may be the first time in recorded history that the words ‘single transferable vote’ have emanated freely from the mouth of a mainstream pop star. We’re a long way, indeed, from the world of Rick Astley.

Quick, send that chap a membership form.

Will Young a Lib Dem – I knew it!

by John Abrams on September 1, 2008 at 12:14 am. Reply #

Will Young was in the same year at Exeter Univeristy as a couple of my friends, and I vaguely recall them saying he read Politics.

by Antony Hook on September 1, 2008 at 12:15 am. Reply #

He did read Politics

by David on September 1, 2008 at 12:34 pm. Reply #

So a bit keener than Nick Clegg who according to lib dems news says

“What about proportional representation? Nice idea but not now: voters aren’t interested.”

Not a quote of what Nick said, but how it was reported. Hardly the great communicator

by Mouse on September 1, 2008 at 4:46 pm. Reply #

It’s all very well Will Young coming out in favour of STV, but the real challenge is: can he actually explain it to anybody?

by Laurence Boyce on September 1, 2008 at 5:07 pm. Reply #

Well it’s going in my Focus.

by Biodiesel on September 1, 2008 at 6:34 pm. Reply #

Perhaps he should be persuaded to re-record that old Len Barry song, the first lines of which are:

“One, two, three,
That’s how elementary
It’s gonna be…..”

by tony hill on September 2, 2008 at 8:29 am. Reply #

Could we kill two birds with one stone and make Will Young leader

by David Morton on September 2, 2008 at 7:20 pm. Reply #

He was in the year above me at Exeter, and did indeed read politics, did quite well IIRC.

Given the emphasis of the course on voter behaviour analysis, supporting STV would be fairly natural, although I don’t know what modules he took.

Headline translated into how I read it: “politics geek is into politics geekery shock”…

by MatGB on September 2, 2008 at 11:35 pm. Reply #