NEW POLL: will Gordon Brown last for another year?

by Stephen Tall on June 23, 2008

Today marks the first anniversary of Gordon Brown succeeding Tony Blair as Labour Prime Minister. But with Labour sinking in the political doldrums, the question is: will this be the last anniversary he celebrates in Number 10?

There are three possible reasons why it could be, in descending order of likelihood:

1. The Labour party concludes Mr Brown is an electoral liability and forces him out, either through a leadership challenge or a visit by ‘the men in grey suits’;

2. Mr Brown himself concludes he can no longer win the British public back to Labour, and quits for the good of the party;

3. He calls a general election and loses.

Or, of course he might still be PM in another year’s time.

Which of the four possibilities outlined do you think is most likely? Now’s your chance to vote – eyes right to cast your ballot.

I voted yes, but on the basis that the Labour Party is full of stupid.

by James Graham on June 23, 2008 at 9:57 pm. Reply #

I voted for the election option…I am convinced it is in Brown’s mind to stick it out till 2010 but I have a gut feeling something beyond Browns control may well tip his hand, all the signs are there that this is a government of crisis, strikes, inflation, etc and there are an infinate amount of variable events that could topple this government well before it’s time….

by Darrell on June 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm. Reply #

Labour have shown that they aren’t up to the task of defenestrating a leader however much it needs to be done. And Brown still doesn’t deserve it a hundredth as much as Blair did.

by Joe Otten on June 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm. Reply #

He’ll be in at the last. Nobody else in the Labour Party wants to be the one leading them to defeat at the next general election. Meanwhile, watch them as they jockey for position after that election. Better than Ascot, methinks.

(Mind you, I prefer my horses over jumps myself)

by enitharmon on June 23, 2008 at 11:38 pm. Reply #

I think he’ll stay put until he loses.

It’s actually rather a shame that Labour have been eviscerated in this way, & might be all but extinct soon. While I’ve never agreed with them, old or new, I think we need some form of socialist party in politics.

Hopefully some decent elements will create something better over the next 20 years.

by asquith on June 24, 2008 at 6:59 am. Reply #

I think he will still be PM.
There’s no chance he’ll call an election until absolutely necessary, Labour MPs and party members will not kick him out.

The only possibility is the major donors decide he has to go and manage to force it.

Of course, if Labour go bust completely anything could happen…

by Tristan Mills on June 24, 2008 at 6:38 pm. Reply #

Asquith: The Greens will fit the bill as “some form of socialist party”, but I’d say that we really don’t need that anyway. What we need is a party that has a fresh clear approach to solving the problem of a society that works for everyone (or at least… the majority).

For me, that means that we need a party that will address the problems of unearned wealth and position in society.

Labour haven’t done that, and we’re still only scratching at the surface. The Greens are ahead of us as far as things like Land Value Tax go. It’s crazy we still allow people to profit from monopolising land.. “buy to sit” may be gone for a bit, but there are still plenty who got a free ride off the demand for land for housing!

by Neale Upstone on June 26, 2008 at 11:59 pm. Reply #

We will have an election in two years time, but more to the point is why are the Lib Dem’s still behind, lets be honest Labour are struggling like hell and the lib Dem’s are still in third place, the question is why.

Clegg is a Blair look alike but sounds like Brown, and somethings missing. perhaps it’s a voice.

Or then again voting or not voting on things have made me look at what would the Lib Dems do in power and the feeling is not a lot.

by Robert on August 2, 2008 at 11:16 am. Reply #