BBC Question Time: open thread

by Stephen Tall on May 29, 2008

‘Fraid there are no Lib Dem panellists on tonight’s Question Time, (broadcast on BBC1 and online from 10.35 pm GMT) – but only for the second time in three weeks so no complaints from me. [/irony font]

The panel will include the government’s chief whip, Labour’s Geoff Hoon, the shadow secretary of state for communities and local government, the Tories’ Eric Pickles, the Green Party member of the European parliament for the South East of England Caroline Lucas, the historian and broadcaster Dan Snow and the director of Global Vision Ruth Lea.

If you want to sound-off as you watch, please feel free to use the comments thread.

Given the media savvy skills of our new leader, what is being done about this?

We will always be squeezed until we do something about this.

by rob b on May 29, 2008 at 10:12 pm. Reply #

Question Time has a ratio of how often it feels it should have Lib Dems on (Something like 3 out of every 4 weeks I think). But that’s worked out over a long period of time – so we had a decent run recently which makes the BBC feel they can drop us when they want to get (say) a Green on. I’m sure complaints are made, but it’s esssentially their standard procedure and hard to change.

by slothrop on May 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm. Reply #

BBC complaints site:

by Mark Pack on May 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm. Reply #

Hello all. When a Tory says ‘I hope this doesn’t sound offensive but…’, I for one get nervous!

by Russ on May 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm. Reply #

Where do we stand on the 2p extra on fuel tax? What would one of our MPs be saying if the BBC had invited them?

by Russ on May 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm. Reply #

Dan Snow is a liberal voice if not a Lib Dem. I liked Ruth Lea’s tigger & eyeore line.

by Bridget Fox on May 29, 2008 at 11:19 pm. Reply #

A very entertaining show. I must congratulate the BBC using that link Mark provided . . .

by Laurence Boyce on May 29, 2008 at 11:42 pm. Reply #

According to Jo Swinson’s status message on Facebook she was due to have been on tonight’s Question Time but is frustrated at being mucked about by the BBC.

by Nigel Ashton on May 30, 2008 at 12:38 am. Reply #

I thought Caroline Lucas did very well. The (perhaps unfortunate) fact is that between her and Dan Snow liberal thought seemed well represented.

by David Morton on May 30, 2008 at 12:53 am. Reply #

I want to know why Geoff Hoon is on the programme. The Chief Whip is supposed to be the silent signifier of Prime Ministerial will. Also, he’s an idiot

by matt severn on May 30, 2008 at 12:50 pm. Reply #

I thought Caroline Lucas was quite articulate in stating her position, but I would certainly not describe her views or those of the Green Party as liberal…

by Alex Sabine on May 31, 2008 at 12:57 am. Reply #