Forthcoming event: assessing Asquith's legacy

by Stephen Tall on April 19, 2008

Lib Dem Voice has already noted that we have just passed the century since Herbert Asquith became the last leader of a Liberal government. So we thought you might like to know of a lecture assessing his legacy which is taking place in Oxford next month. (If any LDV readers are thinking of coming, do drop me a line at stephen@libdemvoice.org.) Details as follows:

HH ASQUITH AND THE LIBERAL LEGACY – A LECTURE
An event jointly organized by the Bodleian Library and the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography to mark the centenary of Asquith’s 1908 Liberal Government
5:30pm, Thursday 15 May 2008
The Bodleian Library, Oxford (Convocation House)
A lecture by Dr Lawrence Goldman followed by panel and open forum discussion. A selection of Asquith’s manuscripts – held by the Bodleian – will be on display in the Library’s Divinity School.
RSVP to: modern.papers@bodley.ox.ac.uk

The big shame about those old liberal days is how the party kept on blunting its radical edge until their were no radicals left and no reason for the Liberal Party. We should heed history’s warning and never submit to the status quo or seek the easy reactionary option.

PS- I always felt that Lloyd George was a far better PM, coalition or not, than ol’ Squiffy

by matt severn on April 19, 2008 at 4:25 pm. Reply #

I chose the username asquith because I find the original Asquith a great inspiration. People instinctively take sides in history (another good one is which side people would have been on in the Civil War: you won’t be surprised to hear that I’m a Parliamentarian). And I’ve always been within the Liberal tradition.

Where to start?
Unemployment benefits and old age pensions, (within an economy which remained totally liberal).
Irish home rule (resisted by the usual bigots)
A thoroughgoing assault on the self-serving House of Lords, which is one of his most lasting achievements. I really wish I’d been around at the time of the People’s Budget to watch these feeble self-justifiers get axed.

Just generally representing the last flame of liberalism, before the socialists/conservatives stitched everything up between them. If it hadn’t been for World War One, we could have done so much more.

One day, we’ll have a liberal government which will resume the work.

And Matt Severn, you’d better not mention Lloyd George’s postwar record to me 🙂

by asquith on April 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm. Reply #

During Asquith’s government we saw how repulsive and unprincipled the Tories really are, and got a demonstration of how they’ll do anything to cling onto their own position.

by asquith on April 19, 2008 at 4:53 pm. Reply #

Funny enough I’m trying working to get an Asquith elected in the local elections in Three Rivers.
Herbert Asquith was his great uncle or something. Mind you if my second name was George I wouldn’t be welcome (joke)

by Lloyd on April 19, 2008 at 9:13 pm. Reply #

For interest, our candidate in the Northwick ward of Three Rivers in Herbert’s great great nephew Jerry Asquith.

It’s a Labour seat on an old GLC estate, with the Tories close as well, but who knows.

by Sara on April 20, 2008 at 7:33 pm. Reply #