I’m in my third year as Development Director at the Education Endowment Foundation, a major grant-making charity founded in 2011 that will invest more than £200m over 15 years in projects aiming to break the link between family income and children’s attainment. In 2013, the EEF was designated the ‘What Works’ centre for improving education outcomes for school-aged children by the UK government. Before joining the EEF, I worked on major campaigns for the University of Oxford for more than a dozen years. During that time, as associate and then acting director of development, I helped lead an 85-strong development office as the University passed the £1bn milestone in its ‘Oxford Thinking’ Campaign.
You can view the collection of my writings on fundraising by clicking here.
Here’s my fundraising career to date:
- 2012 – present: Development Director, Education Endowment Foundation;
- 2010-12: Associate Director of Development, University of Oxford;
- (Jun-Sept 2011 – Acting Director of Development, University of Oxford);
- 2008-10: Director of Development, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford;
- 2002-08: Director of Strategy & Development, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford;
- 1999-2001: Development Officer, Mansfield College, University of Oxford.
For full career details see my public profile at LinkedIn, and here’s some highlights…
- Helping launch the largest educational fundraising campaign outside of North America – Oxford Thinking: The Campaign for the University of Oxford – and overseeing it surpass the £1bn milestone as Associate Director and then Acting Director of Development;
- The largest ever gift to a British university library – £25 million from the Garfield Weston Foundation towards the renovation of the New Bodleian Library in Oxford;
- Raising £1m in gifts and pledges through St Anne’s College annual giving programme, with over 2,000 alumni and friends – 25% of the College’s worldwide constituency – making a gift;
- Overhauling the St Anne’s College website, introducing the first e-zine and launching the first YouTube channel in Oxford;
- Becoming the first Director of Development to be appointed Head of Strategy for an Oxford college.