I’m in my fifth year as Development Director at the Education Endowment Foundation, a major grant-making charity founded in 2011 to break the link between family income and children’s attainment. My role is to help the EEF to generate the money needed to fund, evaluate and scale evidence-based innovations in teaching and learning, and share the evidence of what works with school leaders, parents and policy-makers. To date, more than £18 million had been pledged through a combination of donations, co-funding and pro bono resource.
Before joining the EEF, I worked on major campaigns for the University of Oxford for a dozen or more years. During that time, as associate and then acting director of development, I helped lead an 85-strong development office as the University passed the £1bn milestone in its ‘Oxford Thinking’ Campaign.
You can view the collection of my writings on fundraising by clicking here.
Here’s my fundraising career to date:
- 2012 – present: Development Director, Education Endowment Foundation;
- 2010-12: Associate Director of Development, University of Oxford;
- (Jun-Sept 2011 – Acting Director of Development, University of Oxford);
- 2008-10: Director of Development, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford;
- 2002-08: Director of Strategy & Development, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford;
- 1999-2001: Development Officer, Mansfield College, University of Oxford.
For full career details see my public profile at LinkedIn, and here’s some highlights…
- Starting from scratch the EEF’s fundraising, helping raise £18m within its first four years of activity;
- Helping launch the largest educational fundraising campaign outside of North America – Oxford Thinking: The Campaign for the University of Oxford – and overseeing it surpass the £1bn milestone as Associate Director and then Acting Director of Development;
- The largest ever gift to a British university library – £25 million from the Garfield Weston Foundation towards the renovation of the New Bodleian Library in Oxford;
- Raising £1m in gifts and pledges through St Anne’s College annual giving programme, with over 2,000 alumni and friends – 25% of the College’s worldwide constituency – making a gift;
- Overhauling the St Anne’s College website, introducing the first e-zine and launching the first YouTube channel in Oxford;
- Becoming the first Director of Development to be appointed Head of Strategy for an Oxford college.