by Stephen Tall on November 30, 2009
Plenty of coverage – both in the national media and on Lib Dem blogs – of the Sunday Times’ revelations that multimillionaire Tory candidate for Richmond Park Zac Goldsmith has ‘non-dom’ status to avoid paying tax in the UK on any of his offshore wealth.
Here’s what Lord Oakeshott of Seagrove Bay, Lib Dem Treasury spokesman, said:
He’s not fit to sit in Parliament when he’s claimed non-dom status all his life to keep his offshore hundreds of millions free of income, capital gains or inheritance tax.”
Here’s a round-up of some of the news coverage:
- Tory Zac Goldsmith admits he is a non-dom (Times);
- I’m non-domiciled but not a tax dodger, says Tory candidate Zac Goldsmith (Guardian);
- Zac Goldsmith should be fired over non-domicile tax, Lib Dems claim (Times);
- Zac Goldsmith: in or out? (Telegraph);
- Zac Goldsmith admits ‘non-dom’ tax status (Telegraph).
I thought this was a telling comment from Ben Brogan in one of the Torygraph articles linked to, above:
It would be nice to think that grassroots Tories can summon up as much indignation about those who keep their wealth out of the taxman’s reach as they do about the behaviour of women candidates.
The BBC’s Andrew Neil links the Tories’ latest embarrassment to the way in which last week’s PMQs attack by David Cameron – focusing on alleged Islamist influence in schools receiving public funding – unravelled owing to some basic errors in the party’s research, and asks: “Are the Tories becoming just a tad accident prone and overly nervous?”
Finally, here’s a list of Lib Dem bloggers who’ve covered the revelations about Mr Goldsmith:
- Richmond Park: Lib Dem Hold (Jonathan Calder);
- Non-Doms for Cameron (Peter Black AM);
- Inside the Richmond Tory candidate selection meeting…. (Paul Walter);
- Millionaire wannabe Tory MP Zac Goldsmith is a non dom ! (Nich Starling);
- What is local to a Tory? When you claim non-dom tax status of course! (Duncan Borrowman);
- Tory candidate in Richmond Park avoids paying millions in UK tax (Mary Reid);
- Why Iain Dale is wrong about Zac Goldsmith (Mark Thompson);
- Iain Dale has lost the plot (Liberal Revolution);
- Zac Goldsmith – not a fit and proper person to be an MP? (Mark Valladares);
- The Monday morning blog: Susan Kramer’s early Christmas (Jonathan Wallace).
Please do add any links which I’ve missed, or published subsequent to this post.