by Stephen Tall on November 27, 2009
Can this list be true? According to Popbitch, yes:
1. Will Young (Evergreen)
2. Gareth Gates (Unchained Melody)
3. Shaggy (Wasn’t Me)
4. Tony Christie/Peter Kay (Amarillo)
5. Band Aid 20
6. Hear’Say (Pure & Simple)
7. Shayne Ward
8. Kylie (Can’t Get You Out Of My Head)
9. Bob the Builder (Can We Fix It)
10. Atomic Kitten (Whole Again)
So that’s four reality TV star manufactured hits*, two charity singles, and one children’s TV novelty cash-in – leaving Shaggy, Kylie and Atomic Kitten in the top 10 on, erm, merit.
Yay for the Noughties.
* actually, I’m a big Will Young fan. But Evergreen is shit.