Top 75 Lib Dem blogs: the Total Politics List

by Stephen Tall on September 1, 2009

It’s six weeks since Total Politics asked blog-readers to vote for their Top 10 favourite blogs in their annual survey promoted here on LDV, as well as at LabourList and Iain Dale’s Diary. More than 1,500 people voted, and here is the full list of the Top 75 Lib Dem blogs in the Total Politics list:

1. (-) Charlotte Gore
70. (-) Niles’s Blog
71. (13) Neil Stockley
72. (-) LibCync
73. (-) What You Can Get Away With
74. (-) Wouldn’t it be Scarier
75. (-) Richard Allan

Many congratulations to all bloggers, no matter where they were placed – but especially, of course, to Charlotte Gore for topping the list. In particular, it’s interesting to note that four of the Top 10 blogs this year are new entries. Overall, though I’m sure all of us would quibble with individual placings, what it does demonstrate is the strength in depth of the Lib Dem blogosphere. And remember: it’s just a list.

If you own a blog on this list please do display this image in your sidebar if you’d like to…

libdem

Congratulations to Charlotte for a stunning win!

by Mark Reckons on September 1, 2009 at 9:15 am. Reply #

“More than 1,500 people voted” – Charlotte Gore? Charlotte bloody Gore? Was everyone who voted a Tory?

by Rob Fenwick on September 1, 2009 at 9:16 am. Reply #

Rob, so cynical! I always wanted to appeal to a broader readership than just Lib Dems. I suspect any Tories that did vote for me might regret it if they ever get in power though 😉

But yes, I’m amazed and stunned and grateful for the support!

Contrats are due to everyone else appearing on the list – 4 new entries in hitting the top ten goes to prove that nothing’s fixed in the LD blogosphere – anyone can start a blog and with a bit of luck do well with it, which is wonderful.

by Charlotte Gore on September 1, 2009 at 9:43 am. Reply #

The world has gone to Hell

by Rob Fenwick on September 1, 2009 at 9:47 am. Reply #

Congratulations to Charlotte and to everyone else on the list.

by Costigan Quist on September 1, 2009 at 9:53 am. Reply #

Charlotte, I take it you’re offering congrats and not offering contracts. I’d hate to think you’re hiring a hitman to ensure your continued success next year!
By the way, how the hell did I leap from 42 to 25, while Fraser MacPherson declined from 28 to 31? It makes no sense.

by Bernard Salmon on September 1, 2009 at 10:04 am. Reply #

I’ve been in the top 100. THAT made no sense.

by Rankersbo on September 1, 2009 at 10:31 am. Reply #

I’m a little surprised at my position, as I asked not to be included in the poll, as for one reason and another I haven’t blogged very much recently. I therefore told my nearest & dearest to vote for others and didn’t of course vote for myself. Maybe next year I should try!

by Sara on September 1, 2009 at 10:37 am. Reply #

Yay! I’ve doubled my score!

by Alex Wilcock on September 1, 2009 at 10:44 am. Reply #

Up 19 places, not bad but Charlotte you took the top spot that I wanted!

by Irfan Ahmed on September 1, 2009 at 10:53 am. Reply #

Special congratulations to Caron for climbing 37 places!

by KL on September 1, 2009 at 12:22 pm. Reply #

Since when is Claude Bottom Carpentieri (Hagley Road to Ladywood) a Lib Dem?

Also, please to be improving your accessibility by not hardcoding text colours? Or at least you could hardcode the background AS WELL AS if you are going to hardcode the text. I can’t read what I am typing or any of the buttons because you have hardcoded the text to black, and my theme is black, and black on black is… well, difficult….

by Jennie on September 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm. Reply #

That’s what I thought; pretty sure Claude would be either “non-aligned” or “left-wing” for these purposes, though I’d be delighted if he were on board. I did vote for him, mind; in fact there were probably as many “non-aligned” blogs as LibDem ones in my final ten.

by burkesworks on September 1, 2009 at 2:45 pm. Reply #

Jennie, I see you never waste an opportunity to display your lovely liberal charm.

Anyway. I’ve voted LibDem a few times (2005, for instance) but I am not a member of any political party nor do I fancy being one in the near future. Out of the three main parties I’d still vote LD, but with no enthusiasm.

by Claude on September 1, 2009 at 5:19 pm. Reply #

Claude, I was just genuinely under the impression that you would be unhappy to be included in the list. If you’re not, then fair play to you.

by Jennie on September 1, 2009 at 5:22 pm. Reply #

Query – are Freedom and Whisky at no 27 and Max Atkinson at no 56 Lib Dem blogs? The former is a libertarian who doesn’t mention any party affiliation on his blog, while the latter describes himself as non-aligned and not a member of any political party, though he used to be a speechwriter for Paddy Ashdown.

by Bernard Salmon on September 1, 2009 at 6:37 pm. Reply #

Come to think of it, the aggregator comes in at no 28 – and while it’s an essential tool to have, it’s not a blog. In addition, The Esteemed Dr Pack and his dog are both listed separately at 36 and 37 despite sharing the same domain, while the entry at 69 appears to be from SWINTON, not Swindon – but what’s a couple of hundred miles to the Westminster gossip blog bubble anyway?

by burkesworks on September 1, 2009 at 6:50 pm. Reply #

@burkesworks in the first blog listing from Dale I noticed he had made the mistake of putting LibDemBlogs in the list. I assumed they had finally realised that it’s not a blog and weren’t including it anymore, and only after reading your comment did I discover that the site is back in the list this year.
Sorry to number 76 for pushing you off.

by Ryan Cullen on September 1, 2009 at 7:01 pm. Reply #

Does this mean that the list, once out, is unamendable? Oh dear. Another reason to have an informed beta-reader, then…

by Jennie on September 1, 2009 at 7:17 pm. Reply #

I was totally surprised and a little embarrassed to appear in this list at all, let alone at 56th – as my blog appears (correctly) in the Total Politics list a ‘non-aligned’. Presumably those who voted for it thought it must be a Lib Dem blog because they knew of my involvement as speech advisor/writer/coach to Paddy Ashdown and think (wrongly) that I’ve carried on in a similar capacity with all the leaders since then – for more on which, see http://bit.ly/yKjr8 Nonetheless, I’d like to thank all those who did take the trouble to vote it into such a lofty position, and hope they will encourage others, regardless of their politics, to visit it from time to time.

by Max Atkinson on September 1, 2009 at 8:05 pm. Reply #

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I didn’t vote for anyone mentioning their alignment or non-alignment. I think that comes straight from Mrs Dale.

by Jennie on September 1, 2009 at 8:11 pm. Reply #

[…] and not swan off partying next year)… I like our friends in the Lib Dems a bit more though. Number 23. Badda bing. Share […]

by Crunching the numbers – Freedom Central on September 1, 2009 at 8:24 pm. Reply #

I’m going to bite that bloody Doctor’s ankles for getting in one place above me, I tell you. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

by Pink Dog on September 1, 2009 at 9:48 pm. Reply #

Actually, another new entry… isn’t. Wit & Wisdom was in last year’s chart at number 35…

by Mark Valladares on September 1, 2009 at 11:28 pm. Reply #

And at number 74, ‘Wouldn’t it be Scarier’ was at number 36 last year. Is it too late to recall the printer?

by Mark Valladares on September 1, 2009 at 11:30 pm. Reply #

[…] needs taking down a peg, you know. Far too big for her boots nowadays. Particularly now she’s Officially the Number One Lib Dem blogger. She’s barely even a Lib Dem, you know. Except by […]

by Let There be More Lights; Or: Taking Charlotte Down A Peg. | Sharpe's Opinion on September 2, 2009 at 5:58 pm. Reply #

At least this list has a few more women on it than the Tory version (I counted 2!).

by powderroomgraffiti on September 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm. Reply #

[…] that covered Cumbria during my time there. It seems that, in my absence, I was somehow voted the 73rd best Lib Dem blog, which isn’t bad considering that for most of the year it covered, one post per month felt […]

by Back « What You Can Get Away With on September 7, 2009 at 9:52 am. Reply #

[…] is the #1 Lib Dem blogger according to Total Politics and endorsed as such by Lib Dem Voice. She blogged for The Guardian from the LibDem conference last week and is the new media director […]

by Anti-strike Facebook group is not astroturfing say Lib Dems | The Leeds Sentinel on October 1, 2009 at 4:21 pm. Reply #