What does 4th June hold for the Lib Dems?

by Stephen Tall on May 6, 2009

Yesterday on LDV I had a look at how the 4th June local and Euro elections might play out for Labour, predicting that though the Lib Dems could and should beat Labour in the English county and unitary council elections being held, I was sceptical that the party would come second when voters cast their votes on the subject of Europe.

Today’s Times looks at possible outcomes of the local elections, and reports the analysis of polling expert, Robert Hayward who reckons that:

… Labour would lose at least 150 seats, the Tories would gain more than 150 and the Liberal Democrats would lose or win about 20. “Turnout could be as low as 30 per cent due to a general antipathy to politicians which will keep people at home and could favour the Tories,” Mr Hayward said.

(For the record, I doubt turnout will actually be that low. I recall similar predictions five years ago – not least because I was a council candidate in 2004 – the last time, local and Euro elections were held on the same day. In fact, turn-out was above 40%, and I’d expect a similar figure this time).

The paper goes on to suggest the Lib Dems should brace ourselves:

The Liberal Democrats could also have a rough night on June 4, losing one or two of the three counties they hold in the South West: Cornwall, Devon and Somerset.

What do LDV readers think? Might the party do better than this on 4th June? Or worse?

I think it’s perverse that Grammar Police is being criticised for pointing out grammatical errors.

GP took on that identity so should be criticised for failing to do so.

I guess consistency is a bad thing now!

by Oranjepan on May 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm. Reply #

Alix Mortimer,yes I did mention class first but you mentioned class secondly (He lives in a mansion in chipping BLOODY norton)them few words Alix,sounds to me that theys a angry socialist trying to get out,are you in the wrong party.The jeremy browne comments are the truth,he was bloody awful in the commons.The making friends bit,oh no ,another dig at me I see alix,well I still think your great,better get back on message,LIB DEMS = SQUEEZED.

by tykejohnno on May 9, 2009 at 9:58 pm. Reply #

Excuse me if I am missing something here, but why is Lib Dem Voice wasting bandwidth (1) discussing Jeremy Clarkson, and (2) entertaining a Tory troll who clearly has a coherence problem. Perhaps said Conservative gentleman might care to apologise for his bullying, sexist quip further up the thread. Is this the kind of thing George Osborne says late at night over the Glenlivet bottle?

by Sesenco on May 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm. Reply #

SESENCO,The true voice of liberalism,you prove it every time you come on here.The comments you make my friend,are short tempered,don’t discuss things because we don’t like it and don’t say things like a sexist quip,god,you are so PC,I must be a real liberal because I have free thinking,just look at what you have put down sesenco on this thread and you come out as a illiberal,are you in the right party ?by the way,I’am not a tory,but I will be voting for them to get rid of new labour,they the only decent party.

by tykejohnno on May 9, 2009 at 11:12 pm. Reply #

Tykejohnno, Lord Ashcroft has vast supplies of dodgy money to fund dodgy Tories running dodgy campaigns. But he surely wasted it on all the booze he must have bought to fuel your contribution to this “debate”!

by SpacedOut on May 9, 2009 at 11:48 pm. Reply #

spaceout,FFS ,we have a lib dem with a sence of humour,talking about the MP’s expenses,looking not very good for the lib dems to come out of this whiter than white(or better be careful or you illiberals might think that was racist)or I better use another phrase,purer than pure(or sh*t,done it again,the illiberals might think I’am a nazi)but seriously,all major political parties come out of the MP’s expenses badly ,so you lib dems don’t even try to score political points,like I know you will.

by tykejohnno on May 10, 2009 at 12:25 am. Reply #