Why not write for Lib Dem Voice?

by Stephen Tall on April 19, 2009

You there. Yes, you! Don’t think I’m not talking directly to you. Liberal Democrat Voice is your site – run by Lib Dem supporters for Lib Dem supporters (though all-comers are welcome, natch). It is read by approaching some 30,000 ‘absolute unique’ readers each month, including senior figures within the Lib Dems.

So, if you’ve got something to say – or a story you think our readers might be interested in – please get in touch. We publish some writers’ guidance here, and you can contact us at voice@libdemvoice.org.

I tried that, but my cheque STILL hasn’t arrived !

😉

by crewegwyn on April 19, 2009 at 7:49 pm. Reply #

I know just how this works. Stephen sounds all lovely and fluffy, but just try submitting an article. They get your DNA from your email and from that moment on, you’re their bitch. Don’t fall for it.

by Costigan Quist on April 19, 2009 at 8:01 pm. Reply #

I intend to.

Then I sit down at my computer, and I open my internet browser, and then I wake up and it’s 3AM.

Dammit.

by Huw Dawson on April 20, 2009 at 12:45 am. Reply #

Because I’d like to get more traffic to MY blog, and you’re always complaining that you get too much traffic here and that you need more money? Seems like a good reason to me…

by Jennie on April 20, 2009 at 10:37 am. Reply #

I don’t think blog-traffic is a zero-sum game, Jennie – writing for LDV is another way of ensuring people who haven’t yet sampled your (most excellent) blog give it a go.

And folks, if you do, you won’t be disappointed. Here’s the address:

🙂

by Stephen Tall on April 20, 2009 at 12:17 pm. Reply #

I am a regular reader of LDV and commenter.

I am not a party member but might vote Lib Dem in the future as I have in the past (I voted for Don Foster).

I have not decided whether to vote in the next Gen Election.

As a non-member, it seems a little intrusive to go beyond commenting to article writing.

Most of my thoughts are pretty radical: professional strategists, explaining policy in detail, analysing policy in the light of history, admitting mistakes, being cautious

So I would not presume that my contributions would necessarily be of interest.

As an incentive for people to write, you could list the top Lib Dem people who read articles. How many articles made it to become policy?

by Voter on April 27, 2009 at 6:54 pm. Reply #

Voter, a good question about VIP readers. Maybe we’ll do a bit of digging. As to influencing policy, there are moves afoot (she said mysteriously) to up our game there, about which I can say no more yet *whirls cloak around self and vanishes into the night*

I’m sure I’m not the only person who enjoys your contributions as a commenter. It’s good to have constructive critics who haven’t necessarily made up their minds one way or the other. I don’t always agree with you, but you seem to strike a fair balance between not pulling your punches and giving praise where it’s due.

We do publish non-party member articles under the “Independent view” tag, and I expect a lot of what you have to say would be of interest to party members. After all, if you’re interested enough in us to read this site, then there is probably some good discussion to be had somewhere.

by Alix Mortimer on April 27, 2009 at 9:08 pm. Reply #

Why not give invite open contributions from volunteers on a particular subject(s) and choose the best of them, or alternatively, if there are multiple good submissions, edit them together?

Would we be able to keep our pen-names?

by Oranjepan on April 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm. Reply #

I do try to be constructive.

Can I write articles under the name Voter?

by Voter on April 28, 2009 at 3:17 pm. Reply #

I have been thinking a bit more about this.

It would be nice to be able to include a poll in an article. This feature is on dailykos and would give the incentive to writers to see how popular their proposal is.

by Voter on April 29, 2009 at 1:17 pm. Reply #

Let me rephrase that.

Being able to include a poll might encourage people to become a writer as they could see how much support their ideas are receiving

by Voter on April 29, 2009 at 5:01 pm. Reply #