A big shout out to da Hertforshire Lib Dems as wicked 'Six to Fix' rap goes massive

by Stephen Tall on April 17, 2009

Respect to the Hertfordshire county Lib Dem crew – hear da Telegraph now:

Cllr Allan Witherick, 30, the youngest member of Hertfordshire County Council, has unleashed his rap star persona to promote a new campaign launched by his party. The Six to Fix campaign highlights six key problem areas in Hertfordshire, from poor roads to a failing home help system. And Cllr Witherick has decided to spread the word through street music, ahead of the county council elections in June. In what he describes as “a funky mix with a little bit of flare”, he attacks the six main failures of HCC in his 100-second rap.

Check dis and chill:

He’s no Susan Boyle, innit, but boyakasha for keeping it real, Cllr Witherick – increase da peace.

Wow. Might just ditch my video camera now.

On second thoughts, I’ll send it to our own MC Tall – I had no idea he was so street. Allan – you’ve got competition!

by Helen Duffett on April 17, 2009 at 9:44 am. Reply #

Fairly sure being young doesn’t rob “da kidz” of all critical faculties 🙂

by Graham on April 17, 2009 at 10:04 am. Reply #

Heard some of this on R5L yesterday evening. Presumably he wants the road surfaces and pavements to be like Liverpool? And the social services like Rochdale? The message is fine. Fine words. Well no that’s going a bit far. Fine sentiments. It’s a generic anti-incumbent, we’ll make things better rap sheet. But the performance is woeful. Which again reminds me of Liverpool and Rochdale and the like.

by Chris Paul on April 17, 2009 at 10:09 am. Reply #

It’s almost hitting 800, which is short of the viral excitement I’d expected.

by Chris Paul on April 17, 2009 at 10:25 am. Reply #

*groan*
who’s idea was this?

And the Six to Fix campaign was going so well

by Robson on April 17, 2009 at 10:38 am. Reply #

Six to Fix – was the brain child of Susan Gaszczak (me) and Chris White (pinched from Simon Hughes), the rap was all Allan and has raised our local election campaign to national levels 🙂

by Susan on April 17, 2009 at 11:09 am. Reply #

cringeworthy.

by mym on April 17, 2009 at 11:13 am. Reply #

Oh god save us. There’s another few hundred people under 25 turned off politics for good.

by Alix Mortimer on April 17, 2009 at 11:25 am. Reply #

Truly cringeworthy.

by Mellowmund on April 17, 2009 at 11:58 am. Reply #

Christ Almighty – it’s times like this when I dearly wish I could register national membership rather than having to be associated with Hertfordshire Lib Dems, as I unfortunately am.

A real inspiration to get out and tackle voters on the doorstep. Not.

by LJH on April 17, 2009 at 12:18 pm. Reply #

You would have thought that, after David Steel’s dubious excursion into 7-inch vinyl with the execrable I Feel Liberal, Alright, the party would have learnt its lesson by now.

by Simon Titley on April 17, 2009 at 1:42 pm. Reply #

Why do politicians do this kind of stuff? I can count the number who could actually pull it off on the fingers of one hand. The rest just end up looking like the nerdy bullied kid at the back of the class, trying desperately to be popular. Not good.

by Matt S on April 17, 2009 at 2:48 pm. Reply #

Allan does try a bit too hard sometimes…

by greg on April 17, 2009 at 3:33 pm. Reply #

Utterly feeble. Who thought this was a good idea? Why did no one, before this was uploaded, think “won’t this make us look total tools”? Total agreement with LJH. How does one avoid the county organisation where one lives?

by LiberalHammer on April 17, 2009 at 4:59 pm. Reply #

As a member of “the yoof” that Allan is fixing something up for, I’m not offended by the rapping/performance poetry as a vehicle. It’s just that… well, it’s been delivered appallingly badly. May I suggest a re-take with a bit more “funky flare”?

by Robson on April 17, 2009 at 9:24 pm. Reply #

Pure comedy gold.

Just when we thought we had reach the limit of reasons not to vote for the Social Autocrats, you go and provide us with this.

This is going viral.

Lol.

by Matt Davies on April 18, 2009 at 2:04 am. Reply #

Sorry, I think this is not a good idea. Funny for internal liberal-types, but not something you would want to show to anyone if you wanted to win them over to us!

by Joe on April 18, 2009 at 9:22 am. Reply #

Yo! The sound of my homeboy MC Allan popping a Glock into his foot. About as “down wit da kidz” as a trendy RE teacher singing John Denver songs accompanied by an oversized 12-string guitar. Would have been hilarious had this come from the Tories or Labour; as it stands it’s just downright embarrassing.

by Tez Burke on April 20, 2009 at 9:23 am. Reply #

the irony is that it was done not to reach out to the Youth- but to get air time for the campaign- which it did…
With National and local radio picking it up as well as the papers local and national.
Net result? My vote share went up 6.5%, my majority increased from 10 to 248. We took three seats from the Tories and one from Labour.
How much was it to do with the 4000+ hits and air time this got? Probably not much. But it all helps.

by Cllr Allan Witherick on June 7, 2009 at 5:26 pm. Reply #