Brian Paddick to enter I'm A Celebrity

by Stephen Tall on November 11, 2008

Lib Dem London mayoral candidate Brian Paddick has been revealed as one of the contestants on the next series of ITV’s I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. The News of the World says of Brian:

Count on former Met copper Brian to stir things up in the jungle this year. Outspoken Brian – who ran for London mayor – is no stranger to controversy and no stranger to speaking his mind. You have been warned, celebs.

Brian will be appearing alongside:

Joe Swash
Simon Webbe
Esther Rantzen
Carly Zucker
Nicola McLean
Martina Navratilova
Robert Kilroy-Silk
Dani Behr
George Takei

And if you’ve never heard of half of them, the Screws has brief bios here.

Does this mean you’ll be watching, Stephen?

by Oranjepan on November 11, 2008 at 6:50 pm. Reply #

“Clearly Lembit was acting as Brian’s beard when rumours emerged a few weeks ago that the Lib Dem MP was considering appearing.”

That was a different programme, surely?

by Clegg's Candid Friend on November 11, 2008 at 6:56 pm. Reply #

I hope he repeatedly punches Kilroy in the face 🙂

by asquith on November 11, 2008 at 7:08 pm. Reply #

Given the usual responses whenever Lembit’s linked to this kind of thing, why isn’t everyone throwing around jibes of “joke politician”, “embarrassing celebrity” et cetera yet?

by Julian H on November 11, 2008 at 7:11 pm. Reply #

I personally have always ignored Lembit’s antics & looked at his policy positions & actions, as with Boris Johnson.

I did get a bit wound up a while back when I was reading this page, & a workmate immediately decided because I was on LDV I must take an interest in his dalliances with Cheeky Girls 🙂

by asquith on November 11, 2008 at 7:33 pm. Reply #

Is Kilroy-Silk still an MEP?

If so, shouldn’t he have other pressing commitments?

by crewegwyn on November 11, 2008 at 7:56 pm. Reply #

Lembit was down to appear on Celeb Big Brother. Paddick gets to mix with rats and creepy crawlies……..

by Caron on November 11, 2008 at 8:10 pm. Reply #

If Paddick wanted to mix with rats and creepy crawlies he would have joined the Conservative party.

by Cheltenham Robin on November 11, 2008 at 8:46 pm. Reply #

George Takei? REALLY? I might actually watch!

by Jennie on November 11, 2008 at 8:50 pm. Reply #

Oh Good God!

Why do we attract these kinds of people into our party?

It’s not good enough to say it’s “populism”. It’s an embarrasment.

I’ve had it up to my highest reach with Lembit Opik. It looks like Paddick, another failed candidate, is doing his best to copy-cat the red-top attitude.

Pathetic.

Are you lot really ready for all the headlines showing LibDem logos etc. next to Brian eating bugs, worms and whatever else?

by Liam Pennington on November 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm. Reply #

So, ignoring the vacuous non-entities, who have we actually got?

Martina Navratilova

Robert Kilroy-Silk

Brian Paddick

George Takei

To be fair, that’s 4 more entities than last year. If it works, it’ll be great press for the Lib Dems.

by Huw Dawson on November 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm. Reply #

@Liam,

You misunderstand that nobody really cares about IACGMOOF. It’s a bit of fun.

by Huw Dawson on November 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm. Reply #

“So, ignoring the vacuous non-entities, who have we actually got?

Martina Navratilova

Robert Kilroy-Silk

Brian Paddick

George Takei”

Surely Esther Rantzen is the most famous one of the lot (in the UK, anyway).

by Clegg's Candid Friend on November 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm. Reply #

@Liam. Difference being of course Brian is living on his police pension and whatever he can earn elsewhere.

MPs that go in are neglecting the responsibilities of a well paid job. Retired coppers that go in are earning extra cash they can then use on ither things–like campaigning, for example.

Meh, even with George and Brian, still not likely to watch.

by MatGB on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm. Reply #

I’ll watch it.

Mr Sulu and Robert Kilroy Silk! My God what a line up!

The addition of the latter means some form of crocodile infested pit themed trial surely? (Perhaps with someone firing poison darts at him).

by SLL on November 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm. Reply #

Kilroy’s an MEP til June next year. As far as I know, the local Tory MEP’s bottle of champagne for confirmed sightings of Kilroy in his own constituency remains unclaimed. Presumably he’s still claiming his allowance.

by Alex Foster on November 12, 2008 at 12:05 am. Reply #

Even though Kilroy-Silk abandoned UKIP to set up his own party, Veritas, only to abandon that in turn, he is indeed still a Member of the European Parliament for the East Midlands, as an independent. Taxpayers are really getting value for their money with him, as they have done with Ashley Mote, another UKIP MEP (for South East England) who had to go independent after being sent to prison. In the run-up to next June’s Euro-elections, we should remind the electorate just what they get when they waste their vote on UKIP.

by Jonathan Fryer on November 12, 2008 at 12:21 am. Reply #

I have no problem with, say, Charles Kennedy on HIGNFY.

I have a massive problem with Lembit ‘Opless appearing with a different girl on each arm every other week, and people linked to the LibDems appearing on a show whose entire reasoning is to belittle the people taking part.

by Liam Pennington on November 12, 2008 at 8:06 am. Reply #

“I have a massive problem with Lembit ‘Opless appearing with a different girl on each arm every other week”

I doubt he’s lucky enough for this to be true, but even if it were, what is your “massive problem” with it?

I thought liberals would be more liberal about such things.

by Julian H on November 12, 2008 at 9:54 am. Reply #

I think Liam means Lembit appearing in newspapers and celeb magazines because of it, because it makes him look ridiculous.

by Grammar Police on November 12, 2008 at 10:18 am. Reply #

So it’s ok for Brian but not for Lembit. . talk about double standards. Lembit may be an MP but Brian is odds on to be a future LD peer. What’s the difference?

by Richard Clein on November 12, 2008 at 10:19 am. Reply #

Richard – as far as I am concerned, it isn’t alright for Brian, but it seems I am in a minority of one, so forget it, not going to bother commenting any more.

by Liam Pennington on November 12, 2008 at 10:20 am. Reply #

No, Liam, you are not in a miniority of one. I think it is unwise of Brian to do the show as well, if he wishes to have a political role in the future. Anyway, do please continue commenting!

by Jonathan Fryer on November 12, 2008 at 10:58 am. Reply #

Nothing like being a bit late on a story http://sarabedford.com/blog/2008/11/brian-paddick-to-enter-im-a-celebrity/

by Sara on November 12, 2008 at 11:06 am. Reply #

I also consider it unwise of Brian. Can’t imagine why he thought this was a good idea.

by Grammar Police on November 12, 2008 at 11:27 am. Reply #

It might be a disaster, it might be the making of him. It depends on what happens and how its edited. However if he is contemplating another run at the mayorality its worth a roll of the dice. Isn’t the reason for this years squeeze in the London elections that we were up against two celebrity candidates ? Its worth trying to becomme one him self.

He holds no party position at the moment let alone a paid one so i can’t see any problem really.

by David Morton on November 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm. Reply #