First ever LDV members' survey

by Stephen Tall on July 25, 2008

If you are a registered member of the Liberal Democrat Voice forum – and any paid-up party member is welcome to join – then you now have the opportunity to make your views known on a range of current issues in our August members’ survey. Topics we are asking your opinion on include:

– the party’s performance in recent by-elections;
– the launch of Make it Happen, and what you think of the tax-cutting proposals;
– your views on Nick Clegg’s leadership;
– whether the Lib Dems are on the right/wrong track;
– and your chance to rate the individual members of the Lib Dem shadow cabinet.

It should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to fill in. To complete the survey simply log in to the members’ forum, and click on the topic ‘FIRST LDV MEMBERS’ SURVEY – August 2008′ under the General category.

Excellent initative and completed it to support it. However I thought a couple of the early questions were very loaded.

by David Morton on July 25, 2008 at 9:10 pm. Reply #

I’m intrigued which way you think they were loaded! Given the responses so far, for which many thanks, it’s all pretty evenly split…

by Stephen Tall on July 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm. Reply #

The fact its evenly split doesn’t prove it wasn’t loaded! I tried to check the questions again to reference my criticisms and thankfully it didn’t allow me to view/vote twice !

by David Morton on July 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm. Reply #

Souds interesting, Stephen, but I left the forum some months ago!

by Martin Land on July 25, 2008 at 10:45 pm. Reply #

I never joined… I’d probably not be able to vote anyway, given that my other half and I share a net connection, and he mods the forum so doubtless has already voted…

by Jennie on July 26, 2008 at 2:11 am. Reply #

Somebody consulting the membership, about time.
A lot more consultation should be done on a regular basis, instead of just at conference,etc.
But when are we going to see the results of the survey, a daily update hopefully?

by Col on July 26, 2008 at 11:43 am. Reply #

“Somebody consulting the membership, about time.”

I agree that would be a good idea, but of course a poll conducted on Lib Dem Voice, however well-intentioned, is going to reach only a bit more than 1% of the members.

Here’s a suggestion. The next time – or maybe every time – the party mails all its members, slip in a brief questionnaire, to be submitted via the Internet, together with membership details (which can be checked automatically).

The only cost will be for the printing – a little more than for a single FOCUS delivery to one of our 60-odd constituencies. The benefit will be knowledge of what a self-selecting sample of our members really think about the future direction of the party – and hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of email addresses for future contact.

by Anonymous on July 26, 2008 at 10:54 pm. Reply #

This isn’t a party initiative. The survey is being run by LDV volunteers. It would strike me as a bit much to expect daily updates, and also inappropriate for LDV to be given access to the party membership data base (and all our data) to ensure more members where surveyed. I am very grateful LDV has gone to the trouble of putting the survey together. It was almost cathartic filling it in. I am really looking forward to seeing the results.

by Paul Pettinger on July 27, 2008 at 1:04 pm. Reply #

“It would strike me as a bit much to expect daily updates, and also inappropriate for LDV to be given access to the party membership data base (and all our data) to ensure more members where surveyed.”

That isn’t what I was suggesting, though.

by Anonymous on July 27, 2008 at 3:26 pm. Reply #