NEW POLL: who would you give your second preference to in the London mayoral race?

by Stephen Tall on April 7, 2008

We’re guessing most Lib Dem Voice readers (the Lib Dem ones living in London, anyway) would choose to vote for the party’s mayoral candidate in the capital, Brian Paddick. And of course we hope he will win: he’s the only candidate who deserves to.

But even the most optimistic Lib Dem would recognise that Brian isn’t going to triumph on first preferences alone. Which begs the question, who would you place as your second preference in the race to be London mayor? After all, the Greens have opted for a bizarrely opportunistic shack-up with Gordon Brown’s Labour party, while the BNP have pledged to back Boris for second place.

The choice facing Lib Dems is one analysed today by Sunder Katwala, general secretary of the Fabian Society, who has published his letter to the Lib Dems’ eight London MPs in an article on The Guardian’s Comment Is Free website:

I know that one of the Liberal Democrats’ central arguments over many years for constitutional change and electoral reform is that this would encourage a pluralist politics and a grown-up political culture where parties can retain different beliefs and policies but cooperate where they have shared views and interests. So I think it would be natural to expect that you will want to use every opportunity afforded by the mayoral election to demonstrate the benefits of a pluralist approach to politics.

So, time to pop the question… Here are your five choices in our new poll:
* Ken Livingstone (Labour)
* Boris Johnson (Tory)
* Sian Berry (Green)
* AN Other candidate standing
* Will not use my second preference

And feel free to use the comments thread to justify your choice.

Result of last poll:

LDV asked: “Do you support the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill’s proposal to allow animal-human embryos for medical research?”

You said:

Yes: 249 (48%)
No: 256 (49%)
Don’t know: 17 (3%)
Total Votes: 522. Poll live: 24th March – 7th April, 2008

Either you lot are more socially conservative than we gave you credit for, or the poll was hijacked in some way. You decide.

…and there we were trying to get the stink out of public life when the resident tory says it’s nothing to worry about, everything is a bed of roses, just keep queuing!

It may be fodder for the press, but the public needs relief.

by Oranjepan on April 8, 2008 at 5:22 pm. Reply #

If this was the next General Election would we keep in power an unpopular Labour government by allying with them yet again?
How would we now feel if the Paddick number two votes (approx 60 or 65% of them) effectively propped up Ken and his cronies?
For any hardened politico the answer is obvious.

Yeah, perfectly obvious. You can’t give that fop-haired clown a leg up into the General Election.

It’s not just Paddick’s 2nd prefs that count.

by Alex Foster on April 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm. Reply #

Oranjepan – there are two outcomes I’d like in the mayoral elections. One is a win for Brian Paddick and the other is Livingstone out. I doubt the first will happen, but the second is a real possibility and I’ll vote for it. Livingstone is poison. I’d rather have a ‘clown’ in charge than a venomous snake.

by Ash on April 9, 2008 at 9:47 am. Reply #

Ash, if you allow your doubts to overcome you you’ll never be truly satisfied – either this time round or next or any time after that.

by Oranjepan on April 9, 2008 at 9:53 am. Reply #

Just to reiterate, with judicious use of your first and second preferences, you can contribute towards both these outcomes.

Personally I honestly can’t decide who I dislike more out of Ken and Boris and I certainly haven’t heard any convincing arguments of why to give either my second preference, other than to keep the other one out. I guess I’ll decide for myself closer to the time but as long as people give Brian their first preference I don’t really care who gets their second (within obvious limits)

by Painfully Liberal on April 9, 2008 at 9:58 am. Reply #

If I had a vote, I’d vote for a Henley by-election 😉

Plus it’s setting Boris up to be a national poster boy for Tory incompetence in a few years time…

Of course, some folks who have to actually LIVE in London for the next four years may see this differently! 😉

by Joe Taylor on April 9, 2008 at 11:26 am. Reply #

“I’m surprised that as many have picked green as have so far –

Do people not realise that the greens are basically hard left with a few nutty enviro-policies thrown in?”

Indeed. And it kind of looks like they don’t understand the voting system as well…Having said that I think the “Will not use my second preference” option is very dignified however I would be too much a pragmatist to do that.

Yes it’s all a bit of fun here but I think Brian’s line on 2nd prefs on the newsnight debates was excellent and should be followed at all times in the media by our leaders and spokespeople.

by Steven Ronald on April 11, 2008 at 7:25 pm. Reply #

I missed newsnight… what was that line?

by MartinSGill on April 11, 2008 at 7:52 pm. Reply #

NL and Con are so absurdly bad in different ways it would be ludicrus for a prominent LD to state where their 2nd pref would be going.

That’s not verbatim but he certainly got the sentiment across (better than say, e.g., to pick a figure from random – Ming – ha ha)

by Steven Ronald on April 11, 2008 at 8:06 pm. Reply #

From the other thread, this says it all about Ken:

by Mark Wright on April 11, 2008 at 8:11 pm. Reply #

In fact, of course, nationwide NL and Con are absurdly bad in very similiar ways but its harder to paint that picture in a Ken V Boris match up.

I liked the way Huhne handled this kind of question referencing the grand coalitions in Germany and Netherlands.

by Steven Ronald on April 11, 2008 at 8:14 pm. Reply #

This election is about personalities, like it or not. Brian Paddick is by far the solidest, most competent and liberally inclined person on offer. K now repels me. B is adequately described by his initial. The rest are repellent or nonentities, bar Sian Berry who is less repellent than K or B, and not a nonentity. Therefore she is my second preference.

by Diversity on April 11, 2008 at 9:08 pm. Reply #

Diversity – Do you understand the voting system?

by Steven Ronald on April 11, 2008 at 9:18 pm. Reply #