BBC Question Time: open thread

by Stephen Tall on February 7, 2008

Julia Goldsworthy, the Lib Dem shadow secretary of state for communities and local government, is one of the panellists on tonight’s Question Time (broadcast on BBC1 and online from 10.35 pm GMT).

She’ll be alongside the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Andy Burnham, the Conservative shadow secretary of State for work and pensions Chris Grayling, the director of Liberty Shami Chakrabarti and entrepreneur Duncan Bannatyne from BBC Two’s Dragons’ Den.

Damn the BBC… just days after I cynically queried whether Auntie would ever put up a liberal commentator alongside a Lib Dem MP they do precisely that. And not just any liberal commentator, but Shami, LDV’s Liberal Voice of the Year. Bah.

However, putting the often aggrieved feelings of Lib Dems at sometimes being excluded from QT to one side, LDV research to be published tomorrow will show there is a definite pro-Tory bias in the BBC’s choice of panellists. Click back tomorrow to see the stats.

Anyway, if you’re watching tonight’s show, and want to sound-off, please feel free to use the comments thread.

Oh no. Shami Chakrabarti. Will tonight be the night I lose all of my remaining Liberal Democrat friends? Both of them?

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:09 pm. Reply #

No, he’s wrong. Next question.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:38 pm. Reply #

100% for Grayling.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:39 pm. Reply #

A mealy-mouthed answer from Shami, and no clear condemnation of the Archbishop’s remarks. Shami, you are rapidly going down in my estimation, and you were already at rock bottom.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:41 pm. Reply #

Shami tells us that she and her colleagues are is very busy representing a girl who wants to wear a bangle. Methinks you’re wasting your time darling.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:42 pm. Reply #

90% for Burnham.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm. Reply #

And yes, good point from the audience. Nobody elected the bearded idiot, so maybe he should just take a jump.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:45 pm. Reply #

And a good answer by Julia 🙂

by Stephen on February 7, 2008 at 10:47 pm. Reply #

OK, am I the only one here thinking that Julia represents the “Predator” from the final scene where he takes off his clothes in front of Arnie?

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:47 pm. Reply #

Sorry, make that 31% for Burnham.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm. Reply #

Moronic Jesus-freak has his say from the audience.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm. Reply #

Why have the BBC stopped showing this online? If this carries on, I might have to buy a television 🙁

by Rob Knight on February 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm. Reply #

Thought for the day: why on earth does anyone think that an “Islamic mortgage” does not simply amount to paying interest by another route.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm. Reply #

Rob, it may be online later on, probably on the I-player

by Stephen on February 7, 2008 at 10:51 pm. Reply #

What exactly is Julia wearing?

by Stephen on February 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm. Reply #

God, it’s the predator again. I’m hiding under the duvet.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm. Reply #

I’m watching online.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:53 pm. Reply #

Why all this fuss over bugging MP’s? Are they afraid that they might be caught saying something useful for a change?

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:54 pm. Reply #

they’re afraid they might be caught stealing more money from the tax payers 😛

by Stephen on February 7, 2008 at 10:55 pm. Reply #

Well said Duncan. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bugging a suspected terrorist fund-raiser.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm. Reply #

It wasn’t a surgery Andy. You don’t hold surgeries in the clink.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm. Reply #

Is the Labour guy wearing eye shadow?

by JohnM on February 7, 2008 at 10:59 pm. Reply #

Gentleman from the audience doesn’t seem to be able to make a distinction between somebody who is standing for trial, and somebody who has been convicted.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:03 pm. Reply #

Spot on Andy. I’ve just had the lead nicked off my roof. More CCTV please, not less.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:04 pm. Reply #

. . . and if Julia thinks there is too much CCTV, then maybe she’d like to come and fix up my roof.

Though perhaps have a change of clothes first love.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:05 pm. Reply #

Audience member is spot on. The “surveillance society” protects our liberties far more that it threatens them.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:06 pm. Reply #

I’m afraid from now on, I’m killing the sound when Shami speaks. It’s just too annoying for words . . .

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:07 pm. Reply #

julia goldsworthy- spot on with the housing situation.

by Patrick Murray on February 7, 2008 at 11:08 pm. Reply #

. . . and I’m killing the video for Julia.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:08 pm. Reply #

you feeling alright this evening?

by Patrick Murray on February 7, 2008 at 11:13 pm. Reply #

Nice lady from the audience articulates the problem over housing and benefits very well.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:15 pm. Reply #

Me? I’m fine. Laptop in one hand, bottle of Cobra in the other. Only thing missing is a beautiful woman really.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:16 pm. Reply #

I wanted to agree with Shami but she let me down. She waffled on and was, at times, out of her depth. Julia – OK (nothing special). Burnham’s a good communicator, however wrong. Star of the show, so far, Grayling. It’s difficult to see how any liberal could dislike or disagree with Chris Grayling.

I suspect Laurence has had too much coffee this evening (-:

by Justin Hinchcliffe (Conservative supporter) on February 7, 2008 at 11:22 pm. Reply #

As a matter of interest, do the Liberal Democrats have an emergency wardrobe fund? Perhaps we should.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:25 pm. Reply #

That audience member was so lovely, that I almost wanted to agree with her. But I’m afraid I just don’t want a vote over a treaty I’m not going to read.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:27 pm. Reply #

“Why can’t we have some grown-up politics in this country?” asks Grayling.

Where do I start . . . ?

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:29 pm. Reply #

I’m sorry to say that Afghanistan is lost. Time to get out.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:30 pm. Reply #

Great venue. Great show. Nice one David.

by Laurence Boyce on February 7, 2008 at 11:35 pm. Reply #

I’m sorry that I missed the Laurence Boyce show as I was speaking at an anti Heathrow expansion meeting in Highbury. I did just get home in time for the thankyous. Is Andy Burnham wearing falsies? If he loses his seat he could replace Penelope Cruz on the mascara contract.

by Bridget Fox on February 7, 2008 at 11:56 pm. Reply #

Why not have Laurence live-blogging on QT next week 🙂

by Hywel Morgan on February 8, 2008 at 12:03 am. Reply #

“why on earth does anyone think that an “Islamic mortgage” does not simply amount to paying interest by another route.”

Because the risk situation is different in an Islamic mortgage than a conventional one.

The bank takes on more of the risk in a hire-purchase agreement (like an Islamic mortgage) than they do in a straight loan, as the outstanding debt is only secured against a percentage of the value of the property, rather than against the whole.

by Richard on February 8, 2008 at 5:19 pm. Reply #

When I saw 41 posts on this thread I thought the show had been an epic battle between light and dark. yet its seems laurence has just been on the cooking sherry.

Perhaps next time we gifted with two liberal voices on QT the party should send Mr Boyce?

by David Morton on February 8, 2008 at 5:29 pm. Reply #

“I’m Laurence Boyce!”

Sorry, thought it was compulsory 😉

While both of last night’s ‘Liberal Voices’ were disappointing, top marks to Susan Kramer on Any Questions tonight – very sound on Rowan Williams’ mealy-mouthed attack on the Rule of Law, and just now she’s got the best response I’ve ever heard for a Lib Dem on a programme like this, aided by a very anti-Heathrow local audience!

I suspect if she’d cried ‘Burn him!’ when the Minister opened his mouth to follow her, they’d have risen up as one and built a giant wicker jumbo jet.

by Alex Wilcock on February 8, 2008 at 8:40 pm. Reply #

Can’t we just ban this rubbish?

Tony Greaves