BBC Question Time: open thread

by Stephen Tall on January 24, 2008

David Laws, Lib Dem shadow schools and families secretary, is one of the panellists on tonight’s Question Time (broadcast on BBC1 and online from 10.35 pm GMT).

He’ll be alongside Labour MP Geoffrey Robinson, Chairman of the Conservative Policy Review Oliver Letwin, the bassist for the band Blur (and Labour council candidate) Alex James, and consultant editor of the Daily Mail Sarah Sands.

Anyway, if you’re watching, and want to sound-off, please feel free to use the comments thread.

(Sorry for the technical problems which delayed this thread.)

I had planned to just watch the show, but about half way through Letwin said something so astounding (to me anyway) that I had to write it up. Oliver Letwin, Tory front bencher, declared himself an atheist.

Have to say Laws didn’t impress me though, fluffed a few open goals and made a few mistakes. He also really needed to be using Paul Water’s line on the Constitution rather than the obfuscation that he neded up with.

by MatGB on January 25, 2008 at 12:02 am. Reply #

I thought Laws did pretty well to begin with, but I agree that he rather fluffed the EU referendum debate.

For my money, though, the best thing about tonight’s QT was watching Alex James, staring off into the middle distance looking like he was talking to himself. He may have been trying to make himself distinct from the grandstanding of the polticians present, but it really didn’t come across right if he was.

As for Mr. Labour and Mr. Tory, much as we would expect, I guess Letwin came across a bit better, but only because he has such an easy populist sell on the EU treaty.

And frankly, if that was typical of Sarah Sands, then I’m not surprised they managed to drive her away from the Sunday Telegraph after a matter of months in the editor’s chair.

by Andy Hinton on January 25, 2008 at 12:50 am. Reply #

Wasn’t it Dave Rowntree rather than Alex James who was a Labour council candidate, or were they both at it?

by Will on January 25, 2008 at 8:22 am. Reply #

Thanks Will – quite right. Never Google in a hurry.

by Stephen Tall on January 25, 2008 at 8:31 am. Reply #

alex james was a complete waste of time, the man can’t string a sentance together. shows you what a million quids worth of cocaine can buy you ……….all he did was trivialise a number of questions. perhaps he ought to move from the cotswolds to the real world!!

by rich on January 25, 2008 at 12:44 pm. Reply #

Yes, that was quite funny. Oliver Letwin: atheist, privately educated, and . . . Conservative! What a disaster!

by Laurence Boyce on January 25, 2008 at 4:53 pm. Reply #

It was Dave Rowntree, and I know that because I was the LibDem candidate who pushed him into third place!

by Stuart on January 26, 2008 at 1:02 am. Reply #

It was a pretty blah edition, to be sure. Alex James was embarrassing to watch, David Laws was okay, and I always enjoy Oliver Letwin, who is really quite liberal and should be given some credit for that. Okay, and atheist liberal too – even better!

by john on January 27, 2008 at 11:09 pm. Reply #