Let’s hear it for Evan

by Stephen Tall on October 31, 2007

Over at the Daily Mail website (the things I read for Lib Dem Voice), Leo McKinstry has cobbled together an unpleasantly personal attack on Lib Dem MP, Evan Harris.

The title gives away the prejudices of the author: ‘Meet Dr Death, the Lib Dem MP Evan Harris who backs embryo experiments, euthanasia and freer abortions’. It’s the kind of poisonous cuttings job which gives journalism a bad name, and has already attracted the ire of Mail readers:

Even if I do not agree with Mr Harris’ points of view, I find this article typical of modern discussion methods, there is no well founded argument just mud throwing as means of discrediting the person with a differnt view, shame on you behaving like this.

Perhaps LDV readers might also want to voice their opinions on Mr McKinstry’s silly rant? You can post your comment via this link.

The Mail spent last week ringing round political gossip sites asking if they had any dirt on Evan and asking whether it was true he was gay.

by Greg Stone on October 31, 2007 at 3:55 pm. Reply #

Comment posted. What a horrible, small-minded, dirty little piece. I didn’t think the Daily Mail could upset me anymore but it just did.

by Liz on October 31, 2007 at 4:24 pm. Reply #

Amanda Platell was doing the “Dr Death” thing at the weekend I noticed.

by Jock on October 31, 2007 at 4:27 pm. Reply #

What a prick that McKinstry is.

by Steve Cooke on October 31, 2007 at 4:31 pm. Reply #

Well, it’s not called the Hate Mail for nothing!

This is the paper that, inter alia, supported Hitler & Mussolini, backed the anti-MMR nutters, homeopaths, climate change deniers & the NuLabCon party.

Enough said really.

by ColinW on October 31, 2007 at 4:55 pm. Reply #

A new low for the Daily Mail. And if Nadine Dorries is now the voice of reason, then we’re all doomed. This spiteful article can only be a boost for Harris.

by Laurence Boyce on October 31, 2007 at 5:02 pm. Reply #

Evan has an unfortunate way of hectoring people and talking down to them as if they are idiots.

Abortion is not a simple left/right, liberal/authoritarian issue. It is a highly emotive subject that is best handled with care.

by Angus Huck on October 31, 2007 at 5:35 pm. Reply #

I have submitted my comments.

If for any reason they get “lost” I will reproduce them here – I think despite my best efforts my contempt for the Daily Hate Mail may have, um, leaked out here and there…

by Joe Taylor on October 31, 2007 at 5:49 pm. Reply #

even labour supporter’s (excellent) blog bigs him up here!

by liblablog on October 31, 2007 at 11:12 pm. Reply #

Note how almost all the 7 comments they allowed are positive – and they haven’t allowed any fresh comments in nearly 24 hours. Guess the readership just didn’t toe the McKinstry line! 🙂

by jenbird on November 1, 2007 at 10:15 am. Reply #

Yes indeed – even I put in a comment attacking the article, and I hardly ever agree with Evan on anything….

Matt Sellwood

by Matt S on November 1, 2007 at 2:25 pm. Reply #

Cant think why but the Daily Mail some how failed to put up my post that it was articles like this that remind me why I would never buy the Daily Mail 😉

by Daniel on November 3, 2007 at 12:24 am. Reply #