Clegg: I’ll go to jail to halt ID card plans

by Stephen Tall on October 31, 2007

The Guardian reports that Lib Dem leadership candidate Nick Clegg has announced he “will break the law and refuse to provide details of his identity if the government presses ahead with plans to make ID cards compulsory.”

The full story is here. Nick is reported saying:

“If the legislation is passed I will lead a grassroots campaign of civil disobedience to thwart the identity cards programme … I, and I expect thousands of people like me, will simply refuse ever to register.”

This smacks of total desperation in the leadership race

by mark on October 31, 2007 at 3:58 pm. Reply #

Mark @1 – On the contrary, British politics is generally lacking politicians with the courage to make clear moral judgements.

I found Nick Clegg’s statement encouraging. It suggests he is not the type who waits for the results of the latest opinion poll or focus group before deciding what to say.

by Simon Titley on October 31, 2007 at 4:19 pm. Reply #

Huhne’s matching that pledge: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7071066.stm

by Gavin Whenman on October 31, 2007 at 4:19 pm. Reply #

Wonderful news. Nick Clegg has been listening to Lib Dem Voice. He realises that in order to be elected leader of the Lib Dems he has to annoy Dick Cheney. Great stuff, and let’s have more of it.

How about a promise to oppose satellite surveillance of motor vehicles and the microchipping of children and adults?

The state can only make us slaves if we sit back and let them.

by Angus Huck on October 31, 2007 at 4:41 pm. Reply #

That’s fine, but if we’re going to break the law then we’ll have to scrub the word “Democrat” from our party name and just go back to being the Liberal party. Or maybe the Anarchist party.

by Laurence Boyce on October 31, 2007 at 4:42 pm. Reply #

Would Laurence obey a law, enacted by a democratically elected Parliament, which compelled him to attend mass every day on pain of death?

by Angus Huck on October 31, 2007 at 5:28 pm. Reply #

Hey, that sounds a bit like my childhood!

by Laurence Boyce on October 31, 2007 at 6:31 pm. Reply #

Good for Nick! Awesome stuff.

by Simon on October 31, 2007 at 7:12 pm. Reply #

Oh, God help us! Just when I was thinking of voting for Nick he comes up with this!!!

“I’ll go to jail to halt ID card plans” – no, you might go to jail, but halt ID cards?

People SAID they were going to stop the Poll Tax by civil disobedience, but what killed it was a Lib Dem gain in Ribble Valley!

And if Chris Huhne is “matching” this ludicrous commitment ….. spoilt ballot?

by crewegwyn on October 31, 2007 at 8:56 pm. Reply #

Well done, Nick. Excellent stuff. On top of Vince’s boycott of the Saudi visit the party is really demonstrating the desperate need for a strong liberal voice in British politics.

by Stuart on October 31, 2007 at 9:07 pm. Reply #

Delighted at Nick’s position, and very pleased that Chris has followed suit. Rachel’s point is silly: Nick is happy to take his punishment in law, and to submit to the electorate. He has told the people of Sheffield Hallam what he will do. If they vote him in, then it would be bizarre for him to resign having done what he said he would do.

by tim leunig on November 1, 2007 at 12:03 am. Reply #

“I am a Liberal and I am against this sort of thing”

Its a bit long for a slogan – but it works for me

by Daniel on November 1, 2007 at 1:03 am. Reply #

Here is the detail in full

by Daniel on November 1, 2007 at 1:06 am. Reply #

Daniel has said it all.

It’s the little things which remind you why you are a liberal.

Good on you both Nick & Vince

by Charles Anglin on November 1, 2007 at 1:33 am. Reply #

Finally a lib dem with balls

by Warrior on November 1, 2007 at 12:40 pm. Reply #

I have rarely been so proud of being a Lib Dem as I was when I heard Nick Clegg’s statement on ID cards. His principled stance on this matter is one of the many reasons why I dearly hope he becomes our next leader.

by Ross Chmiel on November 1, 2007 at 2:30 pm. Reply #

This is why I became a Lib Dem, by faith is being restored. Principles are more important than power, we need to stick to ours more often and this is a great start.

by Tom Hilvey on November 1, 2007 at 3:24 pm. Reply #

At last an MP and leadership candidate with the courage of his convictions. If Nick Clegg becomes leader and sticks to his promise the Lib Dems will have my vote. I long ago decided never to submit to the imposition of ID cards – even thinking of voting Tory to avoid them, something nothing else would persuade me to do. More strength to you Nick

by Tony Sewell on November 8, 2007 at 11:36 am. Reply #