Dave’s speech: the views of the Lib Dem blogosphere

by Stephen Tall on October 3, 2007

I’m afraid Lib Dem Voice doesn’t have the access The Guardian does – they were able to ask three Tory shadow cabinet members, as well as two Tory parliamentary candidates, to enthuse just how orgasmically fantastic they thought Dave ‘look mum, no notes’ Cameron’s speech to the Tory conference was. A useful public service, I’m sure you’ll agree.

We’re simply going to point you towards what Lib Dem bloggers have so far said…

(Please use the comments to let me know of any I’ve missed, or any ones subsequently published.)

• David Nikel: Cameron gets his knickers in a twist
  • Andy Hinton: Liveblogging Cameron’s Speech…
  • Andy Crick: Hmm, not bad, but then…
  • Steve Webb MP: Should there be a General Election?
  • Nich Starling: The Cameron effect*
  • Gavin Whenman: Without an autocue
  • * It would of course be cheap and unbecoming to point out that in the seven hours since Dave’s speech, the ‘Am I the only person who doesn’t like David Cameron?’ Facebook group he mentioned has more than doubled, from 370 to 833. It would be even more unsporting to give the link, so here it is.

I wouldn’t pour scorn on the “no notes” trick. It makes a huge difference, and every one of our MPs should be practising the art tonight.

by Laurence Boyce on October 3, 2007 at 10:38 pm. Reply #

I live blogged it too, without too much comment as such.

Meanwhile we have had a little delve on this Gove Youth Militia story here. Gove’s other side kick spoke up for Labour in effect in 2005. And the co-founder of the Sufi Muslim org is a LP apparatchik. There are Lib Dems also involved I think.

It is no wonder that Haras Rafiq was looking embarrassed to be introduced as a committed Tory by the naughty dissembling Gover.

by Chris Paul on October 3, 2007 at 11:31 pm. Reply #

Interesting to hear DC say that the govt will insist on synthetic phonics, and then to say that head teachers would get total control. A contradiction?

by Tim Leunig on October 3, 2007 at 11:58 pm. Reply #

Is it really such high treason to suggest that it wasn’t that bad? Ok, i only caught the last 10 minutes of it, but i actually thought it was a decent speech in so far as not only did Cameron set out What he wanted to acheive, he actually had the courage to set out How he would go about achieving it, which is much more than Gordon Brown did.

The ‘no notes’ thing Was very good – i remember Kennedy doing it at the Autumn conference before last, and it meant he was able to walk about the stage and allowed him to engage with the audience far more.

The only thing on which i could fault Cameron was the wave and the cheesy music at the end, other than that, it wasn’t too bad.

by leowatkins on October 4, 2007 at 12:32 am. Reply #

It is dangerous for the country for their not to be a viable effective opposition.

I feel sad and dispondent. Not that I like the conservatives, but if they do not pull their socks up, we might end up with another 10 years of labour.

You might say that this is no bad thing.

But I would say this is like Mrs Thatcher in reverse!

by Yasmin Zalzala on October 4, 2007 at 2:38 am. Reply #

I totally agree Yasmin.

by Laurence Boyce on October 4, 2007 at 9:41 am. Reply #

The Facebook group ‘Am I the only person who doesn’t like David Cameron?’ is up to 1,150 members – keep spreading the word folks

by nigelashton on October 4, 2007 at 12:04 pm. Reply #

I would join the aforementioned group, except for one thing. I do like David Cameron.

by Laurence Boyce on October 4, 2007 at 4:57 pm. Reply #

So do I Laurence – ok he has made a couple of daft mistakes – but he is (and I truly do believe this) an honest and honourable chap – I decided to back him a litle while back now – he may not have great wisdom yet – but that will come with experience. 😉

by Josephine on October 5, 2007 at 2:39 am. Reply #

The LiberAll blog has a few comments on the speech:

by Chris on October 5, 2007 at 10:55 am. Reply #

“an honest and honourable chap”

If that is the case, why did he tell a blatant lie about the Human Rights Act in his Conference speech?

by Angus Huck on October 5, 2007 at 1:37 pm. Reply #

Angus, what was that? I must have missed it?
    I know they are planning to repeal it and replace with a British Bill of Rights, not something that comes from unelected shadows in Brussells – oops! sorry i know how VERY keen you Orangebird people are on the whole EU thing – guess you don’t really feel any desire to keep a British identity eh 😉

by Josephine on October 6, 2007 at 1:03 am. Reply #