by Stephen Tall on June 14, 2007
With thanks to James Graham for ‘tagging’ me (why is the ‘blogosphere’ so afflicted with such infantilising terms?):
2 things of which Gordon Brown should be proud.
- Giving independence to the Bank of England.
- Having been on watch during a broadly benign economic cycle.
2 things for which he should apologise.
- Bank-rolling the Iraq war without a murmur of dissent.
- An obsession with centralization, targets and complexity which has undermined public services and made the lives of the poor much harder.
2 things that he should do immediately when he becomes PM.
- Introduce fair votes for all local and national elections in the UK.
- Scrap ID Cards, and strengthen Freedom of Information.
2 things he should do while he is PM.
- Oversee a comprehensive decentralization to local communities of power over public services and the taxation necessary to pay for them.
- Vigorously oppose protectionist interests wherever they exist, and unashamedly press for free and fair world trade as the best means of lifting the poorest out of poverty.