And on the third day, Lib Dem Voice rose from the dead…

by Stephen Tall on May 31, 2007

As was clear from the reaction to Rob Fenwick’s post on Monday, there is a strong desire among Lib Dems (and politicos from other parties) for LDV to continue. We’re delighted to announce that it will, with a new team leadership in place.

Here’s how it’ll work:

* Ryan Cullen, creator of the Lib Dem Blogs Aggregator, will manage the tecchy side;
* Stephen Tall (aka me), of A Liberal Goes A Long Way, will act as ‘commissioning editor’ (for want of a less poncy term); and
* Mark Pack and Will Howells, of Lib Dem HQ, will look after the day-to-day comment moderation.

Regular content will be provided by the following:

* Alex Foster and Richard Huzzey, already LDV team members, will continue to provide a regular flow of postings;
* Mark Pack will continue to provide official party content (clearly marked as such);
* Alex Wilcock, of Love and Liberty, will provide a monthly round-up of the opinion polls; and
* Jeremy Hargreaves, Vice Chair of the Lib Dem Federal Policy Committee, will provide a regular round-up of the latest developments in party policy.

We hope others will join the regular LDV writing collective – in particular, it would be good if we weren’t all young(ish), white males.

The ‘editorial line’ will be the one that’s been followed by Rob – LDV will continue to be neutral, presenting views from a range of people and perspectives, and offering people a right of reply. There’ll be a comments policy which is basically permissive, but moderating abusive language and trolls from other parties. Queries or complaints about the balance of coverage can be directed to the commissioning editor.

So, there you go – LDV was dead, long live LDV.

Three cheers for those who have stepped into the breach!

Hip, hip …..

by Ian T on May 31, 2007 at 2:08 pm. Reply #

great news – good luck all

by richardclein on May 31, 2007 at 2:10 pm. Reply #

I can’t think of a stronger or better team to take LDV to the next level – my absolute best wishes to all!

Just to confirm what’s implied in this – I will still be stepping down from involvement in the running of Lib Dem Voice, the new team will own the site in its entirety.

by Rob Fenwick on May 31, 2007 at 2:18 pm. Reply #

Great news Stephen! I shall get to work on an article about abortion straight away! And my media career is back on track! Hip, hip, hooray!

by Laurence Boyce on May 31, 2007 at 2:51 pm. Reply #

If you want another bod to help with comments modding, let me know. And I’ll try to contribute a few more articles in future.

Well done.

by James Graham on May 31, 2007 at 3:22 pm. Reply #

And I’ll continue to comment on behalf of we older folk 😉

by Liberal Neil on May 31, 2007 at 4:30 pm. Reply #

Genuinely delighted.

by Iain Dale on May 31, 2007 at 5:17 pm. Reply #

Excellent.

by Rob Blackie on May 31, 2007 at 5:37 pm. Reply #

Hallelujah!

by Chris Keating on May 31, 2007 at 6:26 pm. Reply #

Excellent news. If there is anything I can do to assist, please let me know.

by iainD on May 31, 2007 at 8:07 pm. Reply #

Well that is good news 🙂

Though I’m possibly more cheered by the categorisation of Alex as youngish as that would mean I fall into the same category 🙂

by Hywel Morgan on May 31, 2007 at 8:54 pm. Reply #

Great news

Thanks to those who give up their time

The Parrot rises from the flames

by Cheltenham Robin on May 31, 2007 at 10:15 pm. Reply #

I’m sure I’ll get round to helping eventually, although I will only help to reduce to average age…

by Andrew_B on May 31, 2007 at 10:45 pm. Reply #

Great news. Delighted to see the survival of LDV. Good luck to the new volunteers. Would be nice to see a broader spectrum of party members involved.

Could you get some coverage in Lib Dem News or national or regional members mailings? A very high proportion of party activists of all ages, genders and ethnicities (is that a word?) have net access and may contribute if they knew about the site.

by Ann-Marie on May 31, 2007 at 11:42 pm. Reply #

Excellent news. I’m really pleased that LDV is to continue. It is one of my daily ‘must read’ sites.

by nigelashton on June 1, 2007 at 12:34 am. Reply #

@Anne-Marie – Lib Dem Voice is now starting to be mentioned in new members’ welcome mailings, along with other Lib Dem online community sites. I’m sure it will be mentioned in other mailings in the future.

Has anyone from the new team been in touch with Lib Dem News? If no-one tells them, they won’t print it!

Chris

by Chris Keating on June 1, 2007 at 8:26 am. Reply #

I was on the phone to some appalling person from Lib Dem News the other day, when I accidently referred to the magazine as “Lib Dem Voice”. The angry tone I got in response was mildly amusing…

by Eldoc on June 1, 2007 at 8:37 am. Reply #

I would have thought that alerting the entire membership to this site would be an essential first step. Another reason why official backing from the party would be no bad thing.

by Laurence Boyce on June 1, 2007 at 9:11 am. Reply #

Sligtly amused by that.

Glad to hear of the new team, this is a great site.

by Simon Jerram on June 1, 2007 at 10:26 am. Reply #

Best news of the week – excellent.

Richard Struck

by rwstruck on June 1, 2007 at 4:26 pm. Reply #

I only just found this, so I am really pleased it isn’t going away straight away. Now all I need is to find out how to register for the members forum.

by Alun Griffiths on June 2, 2007 at 10:36 pm. Reply #

Brilliant news.

Special congratulations to Rob Fenwick for having the balls to face up to the implications of moving on and for skillful handling of the “captive bullet with a time delay” volunteer recruitment strategy

Matt